Terms & Conditions
Who are the organisers of the competition?
- The Supanova Cosplay Odyssey (‘The Odyssey’) is hosted by Supanova Comic Con & Gaming (ABN: 81 602 117 215), with all prizes supplied by Supanova Expo Pty Ltd (‘the Promoter’) unless otherwise specified.
When and where will it be held?
- The Odyssey is held from November (Adelaide and Brisbane shows) through to June the following year (Sydney and Perth shows). This also includes the two April shows (Melbourne and Gold Coast).
What could I win?
- The total prize pool value is $15,000 (as of 22 August 2018). The prize value may fluctuate based on available airfares, accommodation and foreign exchange rates.
- The Grand Prize for our overall Odyssey Hero is a trip for two to Dragon Con 2019 in Atlanta, Georgia USA. The prize includes:
- 2x five-day badges to Dragon Con
- 2x Economy Class return flights to Atlanta, Georgia
- 5 nights of accommodation at the iconic Marriott Marquis
- AUD$1,000 spending money, and
- the option of entering Dragon Con’s Friday Night Costume Contest
The Grand Prize winner will be contacted and announced in July for travel to Dragon Con during August/September, 2019.
- Prizes at each city’s heat include:
- 1st Prize of $1,000 cash for the winner (‘Cosplay Hero‘) of each city’s heat.
- Lumin’s Workshop Achievement Award ($300 gift voucher)
How do I enter?
- Applications open 12:00pm AEST Friday, 10 January, 2020 for the Melbourne and Gold Coast shows (March 2020).
- Applications must be submitted via The Odyssey registration form prior to the closing date for that particular tour. Exceptions will not be made for entries submitted after the deadline. Completing the official application form is the only means of entry.
- Applications close for the Melbourne and Gold Coast shows (March 2020) 6:00pm AEST on Friday, 31 January 2020.
Who can and can’t enter?
- The Odyssey is open to all entrants aged 16 years and over (at the time of their city’s heat) who create their own costume, submit a successful application and compete in person at a Supanova Cosplay Odyssey event. Note: if you are under the age of 18, you will require a parent or guardian’s consent to enter. Additionally, if you win the grand prize of the trip to Dragon Con, a parent/guardian will be required to travel as your companion.
- The Odyssey is only open to Australian and New Zealand residents who are able to attend a Supanova Cosplay Odyssey heat in person. This does include international students or workers who hold valid visas up to and including July 2019.
- The Odyssey is not open to employees (Staff & Crew) of the Promoter nor the employees of any direct sponsor of The Odyssey.
What are the rules?
- Entrants are responsible for all costs incurred in the creation of their costume, their travel to/from Supanova Comic Con & Gaming events, entry ticket costs, and any other costs incurred in their entry process.
- All costumes entered into The Odyssey must:
- Be predominantly, if not entirely, handmade (70% or more). You must provide documentation to the judges to indicate evidence of this, such as photographs. Further requirements on what to bring to prejudging will be provided upon a successful application.
- Be predominantly, if not entirely, made by the entrant themselves. If assistance is sought from friends or families, this must be minimal. You are required to indicate if a part of the costume has not been made by you. Should the judges discover dishonesty on this subject, the entrant may be disqualified at their discretion.
- Have never previously been entered into any contest or won an award at any show.
- Have never been entered into a previous national-level competition (i.e. it is debuted at Supanova Comic Con & Gaming).
- Depict an existing character from any form of pop culture (including but not limited to movies, TV, games, comics, stage). As accuracy is a part of the judging criteria, original designs are not permitted.
- Comply with local, state and federal laws, such as in regard to props and weapons. If you are unsure about your props, consult http://www.supanova.com.au/weapons-policy/If you are unsure if your costume is eligible and wish to clarify the guidelines, contact us via our General Enquiries form with a description and reference of your character.
- Applications do not guarantee entry into The Odyssey. Each application will be assessed by a panel of judges against criteria to determine whether an entrant qualifies for one of the (maximum of) 10 positions available in each city.
- Should an application be unsuccessful for one city, it can be re-submitted for another city.
- To enter a heat, entrants must have a valid wristband/ticket for Sunday entry to the Supanova Comic Con & Gaming they are competing at (Saturday for Gold Coast and Perth 2020 only).
- If an entrant is selected for a heat in one city but withdraws their entry after the portfolio submission deadline, unless there are extenuating circumstances, they cannot enter any other city’s heat that year.
- If an entrant wins a heat in one city, they cannot enter any other city’s heat that year.
- All behaviour on stage must be family-friendly and safe. Violations of this can result in instant disqualification. Rules include but are not limited to:
- No nudity (please check with the Promoter if you are concerned about your level of coverage), profanity, offensive commentary, affiliation with/endorsement of hate groups
- No acrobatics without prior approval from the Supanova Comic Con & Gaming
- No use of special effects such as smoke machines, liquids or pyrotechnics without prior approval.
- Entrants can only enter one costume (the exception to this is if the costumes are related and the transformation happens appropriately on stage).
- Only individual entries will be accepted. Groups of two or more entrants will not be eligible.
- Entrants must be available for a promotional photography opportunity on the day of their heat, as well as any other media commitments required. Entrants recognise that the photos and videos from this commitment may be used by the Promoter for commercial and advertising purposes.
- Photos submitted by entrants as a part of their application may be used by the Promoter for promotional purposes without charge. Entrants must seek permission from the photographers who took the images before submitting. the Promoter will strive to ensure the photographers are credited for their work wherever possible.
Anything else I need to know?
- The Odyssey is a competition of skill, and chance plays no role in the determination of a winner or the awarding of the Grand Prize.
- The Promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with The Odyssey, including the selection of city and overall winners, will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entrants must be eligible to travel to the United States in August/September 2020, including a passport valid for 6 months past their return date. The entrant is expected to complete all necessary travel obligations. The Promoter is not responsible for any difficulties incurred in redeeming the prize.
- Entrants must be available to travel to the United States and spend the appropriate dates in Atlanta, Georgia (Wednesday, 2nd September to Monday, 7th September 2020).
- The Grand Prize is non-transferable and can only be redeemed by The Odyssey Hero (overall winner). In the event the winner is unable to redeem the prize or is unavailable to travel on the relevant dates, the prize will be forfeited. In the event of the forfeiture of the Grand Prize, no alternative compensation will be offered.
- All other prizes are non-transferable and can only be redeemed by the winning entrant of a given prize.
- If, for any reason, the Promoter is unable to provide a prize (or part of a prize), then the Promoter reserves the right to provide an alternative to the same value of the prize being replaced.
- The Grand Prize flights can be redeemed from any Australian state or capital territory; or Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington in New Zealand.
- All prize values are in Australian dollars.
- Prizes do not include any additional costs incurred above and beyond the stated inclusions. For example, the Grand Prize does not include travel insurance, passport fees, visa fees, transfer costs or additional transportation. Any changes to the Grand Prize flights that incur additional charges will be solely the responsibility of the winning entrant. For example (but not limited to): if the winner wishes to fly with an alternative carrier, include a stopover or upgrade to different class of ticket.
- Frequent flyer points may or may not be earned on flights. Further information will be provided closer to the travel dates.
- The Promoter is not responsible for any inaccurate prize details supplied to the entrant by any third party, either affiliated with The Odyssey or not.
- The Promoter is not responsible and will not be liable for any person not being able to enter The Odyssey for any reason, including but not limited to failure, downtime or error of the system through which applications are submitted.
- The Promoter is not responsible or liable for any injury, damage or loss sustained by entrants during the course of their participation or when utilising their prize, except where legally required.
- The Promoter reserves the right to cancel, suspend, or amend The Odyssey and associated events, prizes or terms and conditions without notice, such as in the event of a catastrophe, civil or military disturbance, act of God, actual/anticipated breach of any applicable law/regulation or any other event outside of the Promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible.
- By submitting an application and entering The Odyssey, you indicate agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions and the laws of Australia to the exclusion of any other laws.