We’re thrilled to introduce The Supanova Cosplay Odyssey; a new national level cosplay competition giving cosplayers the opportunity to spread their figurative (and sometimes literal!) wings, and have the chance to share in $15,000 worth of prizes, including a trip to Dragon Con 2019!
An Odyssey stage will be held at each of Supanova’s six events nationally in search of each city’s Cosplay Hero. A phenomenal cash prize of $1,000 is up for grabs for the top entrant, while the Lumin’s Workshop Award (a $300 voucher) will recognise special achievement. Each Hero finalist will then have a chance to be named the final overall winner – our Odyssey Hero, who will be able to continue their cosplay journey all the way to the United States.
Our overall Odyssey Hero will win the trip of a lifetime to attend Dragon Con 2019. This includes:
- Return flights for two to Atlanta, Georgia,
- 2 five-day badges to Dragon Con,
- A five night stay in the iconic Marriott Marquis,
- $1,000 spending money, and
- The option of entering the Friday Night Costume Contest at Dragon Con.
The Odyssey is an advanced-level competition with high stakes. Entries will be accepted by application only, with no on-the-day registrations. There will be three components necessary to enter:
- Your online application: applications will open six weeks prior to the start of each tour and close two weeks later. The application will require name and contact number, a short biography, three photos for publicity purposes (and to demonstrate some experience in cosplay), information about the character you intend to portray, a clear reference image, and photos/description of your progress so far.
- Prejudging: prejudging will take place on the day of the competition, and allows the judges the opportunity to see your hard work up close and in detail. You can draw the judges’ attention to aspects you’re particularly proud of, as well as show them intricacies they may not be able to see from the audience while you’re on stage.
- Onstage Presentation: the final component of your entry will take place on stage in front of an audience. Although The Odyssey does not include skits, this display will take into account your stage presence and in-character movement. You are welcome to submit background music you feel will add to the experience of your stage presence, and will be given the opportunity to do this.
Supanova is passionate about supporting aspiring and established cosplayers, with a tradition of cosplay competitions dating back to 2001 when Supanova was still comicfest!. It has been a joy to see cosplay evolve over that time, and The Odyssey represents a new direction to support cosplay’s continued growth and help the community flourish.
About Dragon Con
Even all the way down under, there are few cosplayers who haven’t heard of this incredible event. Established in 1987, Dragon Con has been a celebration of all things geeky for more than three decades, gradually building to its current state: a sprawling, fast-paced event taking place over five days, five core host hotels and, really, the entire downtown area of Atlanta, Georgia. This convention never sleeps, so you’ll always find something to do – whether it’s a cosplay competition, a themed ball, a party at the aquarium, a panel, or simply wandering the hotel lobby in a daze at all the incredible costumes.
Our Odyssey Hero will dive right into the thick of it, with two passes to attend all days of the event and staying in the most iconic of the host hotels (the Marriott Marquis). They’ll also have the option to enter the Friday Night Costume Contest, known as Dragon Con’s most passionate celebration of craftsmanship in costuming. Dragon Con is ready for you – are you ready for it?
For more information on this amazing event, visit: