Kate is the author of the historical novel, Bitter Greens, the series’ The Witches of Eileanan and Rhiannon’s Ride and several children’s books, including The Gypsy Crown, The Puzzle Ring, The Starthorn Tree, The Wildkin’s Curse, The Starkin Crown and Dragon Gold.
Kate wanted to be a writer for as long as she can remember. She was writing stories and poems from the time she could first hold a pencil and wrote her first novel when she was only seven.
“I think it’s because I have always loved books so much. It doesn’t matter what is happening to you in your own life – whether you are sick or sad or lonely – books are a magical gateway to other worlds and other times. For a while you walk around in someone else’s shoes, and you travel their journey of discovery with them. When you come back to your own body, in your own place and time, you have changed. You have grown. So books are a true kind of magic.”
“When I first began dreaming of being a writer, I imagined myself writing the sort of books I so loved to read. Books that were filled with wonder and adventure, mystery and magic. As a child, I always thought I would write for other children. As I grew into an adult, I wanted to write for who I became. So it seems very natural to me to write for all age groups.”
“Of the 25 books I’ve written, roughly half are for children and half for adults. I feel incredibly lucky that I can spend my days doing what I love most – daydreaming, making up stories, writing them down, reading whatever I like, whenever I like, and travelling the world telling stories and talking about my writing. I’m one of those lucky people whose dreams really have come true.”
Ten Things You Couldn’t Know About Kate:
- She has struggled with a stutter all her life
- Her favourite colour is the blue of a summer sky
- Her favourite foods are smoked salmon, lobster, caviar, her mother’s pâté (and chocolate!)
- Her favourite thing to drink is Dom Pérignon champagne (though she loves any fine sparkling wine)
- Her favourite things to do is read, write, swim in the sea, walk in the country, and travel the world with her family. She also loves working in her garden, listening to music, dancing and hearing other writers talk
- She always wears the same perfume – ‘Eau de Joy’ by Jean Rochas – and it’s the same perfume that her mother and grandmother always wore
- There are twins in many of her books… “maybe it’s because I’m a Gemini…”
- She has kept a secret diary since was twelve years old – “I have a whole shelf of them in my study”
- She fell in love with her husband at first sight
Kate looks forward to meeting all her fans in Adelaide in November 2015, and will participate in signing sessions throughout Saturday (10.30am to 5.30pm) and Sunday (11am to 5pm).
This information is correct at the time of writing but please check the Event Programme for final timetable, including time and location within the events.
Guest confirmed, health and other commitments pending.